The OF Blog: Interesting swag

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Interesting swag


Sometimes, receiving review copies of books involves much more than just a press kit and, depending upon how close to the release date the book sent is, the book itself. Occasionally, the reviewer receives a little token, perhaps a bookmark or something related. In the case of my review copy of Rafael Ábalos's upcoming YA book, Grimpow (October 9 in the US, already available in the Spanish original), I received a keychain in the shape of Ouroboros himself (see book image to left for how it looks).

While I certainly am not going to be persuaded one way or the other as to what to make of this book, I just thought it was a very cool bit of swag that I received today and since it has been a while since I've posted anything here outside of the RIP post for Robert Jordan/Jim Rigney, it might be best if I just posted this little bit to serve as a reminder that not only do I live, but that I shall soon return to a more active posting/reviewing status here.

Also, there shall be a number of reviews, many of them relatively short, for books I've read over the past few weeks. Expect a review of some of the following:

Lucius Shepard, Softspoken

Zoran Živković, Steps Through the Mist (mosaic novel)

Catherynne M. Valente, Yume no Hon: The Book of Dreams

Jeffrey Ford, The Empire of Ice Cream

Glen Hirschberg, American Morons


And of course, a few others over at my personal blog that are not spec fic in nature.


4 comments:

Robert said...

Larry, I just received "Grimpow" yesterday too and it also had that keychain. I thought it was pretty neat. The book itself is YA, but has some buzz surrounding it. It'll probably be a while before I get a chance to read it, but I'm going to include it in my October Spotlight...

Larry Nolen said...

Yeah, I read where it was a national bestseller in Spain. It seems with an audiobook release scheduled as well that Random House is planning to market this one quite extensively.

Don't know when I'll get around to reading it. A quick thumb-through seems to indicate that it's age-appropriate in how the sentences are constructed, but obviously I didn't have enough time to parse it thoroughly. Perhaps in the next week or two.

Just received the latest Charles de Lint in the mail today from Tor. This certainly shall be read/reviewed in the next month or so, considering how much I enjoyed his The Onion Girl a few years ago.

Robert said...

Charles de Lint is another author I haven't read yet... I have a copy of "Widdershins" sitting in my bookcase so I hope to get to it at some point. It looks pretty interesting :)

Larry Nolen said...

He's well worth the read. I'd recommend that you read what you have of his and see for yourself.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites