The OF Blog: 2009 World Fantasy Award winners announced

Sunday, November 01, 2009

2009 World Fantasy Award winners announced

Taken from Science Fiction Awards Watch:


  • Lifetime Achievement: Ellen Asher & Jane Yolen
  • Best Novel (tie): The Shadow Year, Jeffrey Ford (Morrow) & Tender Morsels, Margo Lanagan (Allen & Unwin; Knopf)
  • Best Novella: “If Angels Fight”, Richard Bowes (F&SF 2/08)
  • Best Short Story: “26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss”, Kij Johnson (Asimov’s 7/08)
  • Best Anthology: Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy, Ekaterina Sedia, ed. (Senses Five Press)
  • Best Collection: The Drowned Life, Jeffrey Ford (HarperPerennial)
  • Best Artist: Shaun Tan
  • Special Award – Professional: Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant (for Small Beer Press and Big Mouth House)
  • Special Award – Non-Professional: Michael Walsh (for Howard Waldrop collections from Old Earth Books)
The judges for 2009 were: Jenny Blackford, Peter Heck, Ellen Klages, Chris Roberson & Delia Sherman.


Very deserving winners.  I thought it'd be between Ford and Lanagan and it's nice that both of them get the honor, as they had written some of the best fiction that I read in 2008.  Same goes for Ford for the collection and Shaun Tan for Best Artist.  In the anthology category, any of the works nominated would have been a good choice, but congrats to Kathy Sedia for Paper Cities winning!

Interesting how the winners in the Best Novel category didn't correspond with the poll I ran huh?

Kage Baker, The House of the Stag
  6 (5%)
 
Jeffrey Ford, The Shadow Year
  8 (7%)
 
Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book
  31 (29%)
 
Daryl Gregory, Pandemonium
  4 (3%)
 
Margo Lanagan, Tender Morsels
  7 (6%)
 
Don't care about any of them, to be honest
  48 (46%)
 

7 comments:

Joe said...

Yeah, I can't believe "I Didn't Care About Any Of Them" didn't win the WFA.

I'm not surprised the Ford won, but was surprised about the Lanagan.

But then, my choice would have been between Gaiman and Gregory.

Larry Nolen said...

I read all but the Gregory and Baker and I thought Ford and Lanagan had the two strongest books in the hunt (didn't think as highly of Gaiman's book as several did). I'll probably get around to reading the Gregory book in the near future, however.

Joe said...

I've had the Baker for a year, still haven't read it. Maybe by the end of the year...

The Gregory isn't perfect, but it's a solid debut novel.

Larry Nolen said...

That's what I gathered about the book, which made it surprising that it made it to the finalist list, if it's just only "solid" and not "very good" to "excellent" :P

Unknown said...

Glad Tender Morsels won. I was one of the 7 who voted for it in your poll:P

Greyweather said...

How about an exciting debut novel? Does that give you a better sense of why Pandemonium made the list Larry?

Nephtis said...

Pandemonium was FUN. Written with a few winks to scifi fans, it'd probably make my top 10 books read this year.

I'm most surprised by the Paper Cities winning. All the reviews I've read called it a deeply flawed collection. Some of the more unfavorable reviews for anthologies I've seen (and I paid attention, since the title was certainly enticing). Why not something more like Tin House: Fantastic Women by Aimee Bender or Clockwork Phoenix by Mike Allen?

 
Add to Technorati Favorites