The OF Blog: Here's some of the music I'm listening to while reading this weekend

Monday, May 09, 2016

Here's some of the music I'm listening to while reading this weekend

I've never really discussed it much here, but music is very important to me.  I listen to it during nearly hour-long commutes, when I go running on the streets or treadmill (but never when trail running, as there is natural music there for me to take in), or when I'm reading late at night.  I listen to a wide variety of 20th/21st century music.  Sometimes I listen to Bob Dylan for weeks on end.  Maybe 70s hard rock another time.  Lately, it's been 80s post-punk/darkwave music.  This music is both familiar and fresh to me, as I was a preteen for much of this time, so I might have at best heard snippets while growing up (I started college in 1992 when a different yet also fascinating form of alt-rock was exploding, so my interests then were in then-current music), but it was never overplayed for me then.

Here are some of these songs, taken from a playlist I created yesterday.  Not all of these are "classics," but the overall mood fits mine and it seems to be driving me to read more than I have in recent months:

Clan of Xymox, "A Day"

Death in June, "The Calling (Mk II)"

Big Black, "Kerosene"

Love and Rockets, "Rain Bird"

Revolting Cocks, "Crackin' Up"

Bauhaus, "The Spy in the Cab"

Siouxsie & The Banshees, "Spellbound"

The Church, "Under the Milky Way"

The Jesus and Mary Chain, "The Living End"

Theatre of Hate, "Do you Believe in the Westerworld"

The Cure, "World in My Eyes"

Front Line Assembly, "Provision"

Bauhaus, "Ziggy Stardust"

Screams for Tina, "Eleven Eleven"

The Sisters of Mercy, "Detonation Boulevard"

The Teardrop Explodes, "Treason"


If there are songs in a similar vein that you think I might enjoy, please list them below.

3 comments:

WM said...


That's an excellent list. I find myself returning to "Detonation Boulevard" quite a bit. Not all these are darkwave, but they are postpunk that can be considered if not darkwave at least darkwave adjacent.

The Wedding Present, "Crawl" also: their cover of "Cattle and Cane"
The Chameleons, "View from a Hill"
The The, "Kingdom of Rain"
My Bloody Valentine,"When You Sleep" (and the rest of Loveless)
The Cocteau Twins, "Wax and Wane" (and the rest of the songs collected on The Pink Opaque)

Bill said...

A lot of old favorites of mine in your list! I'd try

Legendary Pink Dots, "Casting the Runes"
[many other LPD songs really, but this has the added bonus of sharing a title with the classic M.R. James story]

Coil, "Love's Secret Domain"

Thighpaulsandra, "Did he fall?"

Night Shift, Trespassers Guide to Nowhere
https://ntst.bandcamp.com/album/trespassers-guide-to-nowhere

Bill


Larry Nolen said...

Thanks, both of you! These songs certainly fit in well with my current listening mood (and the titles I listed). Shall be fun running to these as well as when I'm reading.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites