The OF Blog: Under (De)Construction…

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Under (De)Construction…

 Not making any firm declarations just yet (I have a few work projects to complete this month first), but I am beginning to feel the urge to write commentaries and perhaps reviews after nearly five years of near-total silence.  I’m not expecting many (or any, really) to notice if/when I do, but I think it may be something that may act as a positive outlet for me.


We’ll see.  After all, I’m not exactly a spring chicken and in the era of Instagram and GoodReads, I may just be a proverbial dinosaur…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think people would be interested in reading your commentaries and reviews still. Even goodreads has a crowd that read the sort of books you used to champion e.g. IIRC I first heard of Bolano's 2666 through your site. I just think those people don't frequent blogs as much. It all seems to have moved onto goodreads, instagram and twitter. Even youtube.

There's often very active discussion on twitter about books from presses like Open Letter, Dalkey Archive Press, New Directions etc which I believe overlap with your interests.

Forgive me if I'm wide of the mark and have been overly presumptuous.

Holly said...

Hi Larry,

I'm glad to see your post and would certainly be interested in reading your commentaries again. The last year has brought some Wotmania nostalgia for me, so I have been thinking of you and hoping you are doing OK.

Larry Nolen said...

Anonymous,

While I am glad to hear that there are some sections of Goodreads discussing the books I used to champion here (and would still recommend), I just don't think its structure is conducive for the sorts of writings that interest me more right now. Lately, I feel more like someone who is a witness to the works of the past rather than being a trailblazer for modern literature (although I will likely do that on occasion as well).

Holly,

All is well with me. I have a busy, often exhausting job as an Assistant Principal in a residential treatment facility and I wear a lot of hats there. But I've been more at peace the past three years than I've been since I was a teenager, so yes, I'm doing well. Hope all is well with you as well!

 
Add to Technorati Favorites