The OF Blog: So I was challenged recently to read "a more recent SF/F book"

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

So I was challenged recently to read "a more recent SF/F book"

Last week I posted an interview I conducted with Mihir Wanchoo of Fantasy Book Critic.  In it, he (very politely) challenged me to read/review "a more recent SFF book," a challenge I agreed to undertake.  I decided that I would read and then review the next fantasy book sent my way, no matter who it was or what volume in a series it might be.

Well, I received such a book yesterday in the mail.

It was the latest Terry Goodkind book, The Third Kingdom.

I guess, despite my antipathy for his socio-political views and having read only one book of his in the past decade, I will drain this cup set before me to its bitterest dregs.  May the squirrels have mercy on me, because I think I'm going to have one of them not only read this book but also review it.  Hopefully, I will not be punished too severely for this.  Wish me (and the unlucky squirrel) luck.

11 comments:

Trishb said...

Goodkind? Why!? Yes, I am nothing but a lowly lurker, but hey the last Helprin is still there and unreviewed. What about Crowley, I've bounced off 2 different books, but there must be something there. I once needed to read Eco's Island of the Day Before 3 times before it took. Goodkind!!?

Trishb said...

And yes, I do like the interrobang. So you ask?

Larry Nolen said...

Ha! It was just an amusing coincidence in what I had received in the mail. Been a long time since I reviewed a poor book, so I thought perhaps I would write something "different" to change the pace around here.

As for the Helprin, I did let that review slip on past me last fall, didn't I? I did like that one, so perhaps I'll try to write something on it soonish, but most days/nights these days, I'm working 14+ hours, so it'll be a challenge to slot it in in less than a week. We'll see.

srs said...

So you are like the SF/F critic version of Jephthah...

And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”

Ok, maybe that's stretching things a bit far...

Larry Nolen said...

Indeed, it may be a bit much, but it did make me chuckle a bit. A burnt offering! The Goodkind, not the squirrel who'll be reading it ;)

Bill said...

Brian Evenson's Immobility showed up in some SF sections. Does that count? Haha.

Anonymous said...

Chris said.....

Goodkind!!?! An Adam Roberts like kicking is to be eagerly anticipated then.

The Reader said...

I'm wondering if serendipity is the word I should use for this event ;)

Mihir

Larry Nolen said...

I think the poor squirrel is convulsing now. It's wanting to rend apart all that approaches it. Seems to being choosing death over life :(

Bryce L. said...

Bad for you, but I'm exceedingly good for us! Haha.

Bryce L. said...

*it's

 
Add to Technorati Favorites