The OF Blog: Can you name some poets whose lines have inspired book titles?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Can you name some poets whose lines have inspired book titles?

Late Sunday night/Monday morning on Twitter, I was quoting lines from several poems by William Butler Yeats, when it occurred to me that lines from "Easter 1916" (a terrible beauty is born); "The Second Coming" (things fall apart; the centre cannot hold); and "Sailing to Byzantium" (That is no country for old men) have inspired several memorable book titles.

I found myself musing tonight on my drive back home from work on what other poems have inspired book titles.  If you can think of a poet, ancient or modern does not matter, whose lines provided titles for books, would you please list them below?  It'd be interesting to see what titles we recall collectively after this.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Yes! Three of my favorite book titles happen to come from poems.

1. That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis

2. To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip José Farmer

and the best title ever,

3. Because It Is Bitter and Because It Is My Heart by Joyce Carol Oates

Mike said...

Look to windward by Iain M Banks

Michal said...

The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers derives its title from a poem by Clark Ashton Smith.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites