The OF Blog: To my shame, I realized tonight that I have yet to review any of Gabriel García Márquez's work

Sunday, January 19, 2014

To my shame, I realized tonight that I have yet to review any of Gabriel García Márquez's work

Considering how much I loved reading One Hundred Years of Solitude/Cien años de soledad (I taught myself how to read in Spanish in part because I wanted to read this magical story in its original idiom), this is a grievous oversight.  Too often, great writers who haven't had any recent works released (and sadly, with his brother reporting two years ago that Gabo has signs of dementia, he may never release anything new in his lifetime) never really garner new reviews from readers until their passing.

I don't know if I have the time to work it into my busy schedule, but I may devote a month this spring (perhaps April or May?) to writing commentaries and short reviews of his short fiction and novels.  It might not quite be like the Borges "month" I did from late June-early August 2010, but I could see something approaching a post every day or two during that time.  After all, few writers so deserve such a treatment as that, but Gabo certainly is one of them.  Hopefully, there will be some readers interested in this possible project.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites