The OF Blog: National Book Critics Circle Award winners

Saturday, March 15, 2014

National Book Critics Circle Award winners

I meant to blog about this yesterday, but the 2013 National Book Critics Circle Award winners were announced earlier this week.  Below are the winners, along with bolded titles for the ones that I have already read. 

Poetry

Frank Bidart, “Metaphysical Dog” (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)

Criticism

Franco Moretti, “Distant Reading” (Verso)

Autobiography

Amy Wilentz, “Farewell, Fred Voodoo: A Letter From Haiti” (Simon & Schuster)

Biography

Leo Damrosch, “Jonathan Swift: His Life and His World” (Yale University Press)

Nonfiction

Sheri Fink, “Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital” (Crown)

Fiction

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, “Americanah” (Knopf) 

The Adichie is a very deserving winner and perhaps I should finally get around to re-reading it and writing a proper review.  The Bidart was also a finalist for the 2013 National Book Awards and while it was good, it wasn't as spectacular as the other finalists on that other list, so I am uncertain if I will re-read/review it in the future.  The Moretti book seems interesting, but I am uncertain if I have the time to read/review that or any of the other finalists.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites