The OF Blog: 2008 World Fantasy Award winners

Sunday, November 02, 2008

2008 World Fantasy Award winners

Courtesy of Science Fiction Awards Watch:

  • Novel: Ysabel, Guy Gavriel Kay (Viking Canada/Penguin Roc)
  • Novella: Illyria, Elizabeth Hand (PS Publishing)
  • Short Story: “Singing of Mount Abora”, Theodora Goss (Logorrhea, Bantam Spectra)
  • Anthology: Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural, Ellen Datlow, Editor (Tor)
  • Collection: Tiny Deaths, Robert Shearman (Comma Press)
  • Artist: Edward Miller
  • Special Award, Professional: Peter Crowther for PS Publishing
  • Special Award, Non-Professional: Midori Snyder and Terri Windling for Endicott Studios Website
Unlike the past couple of years, there just didn't seem to be many stories/books that interested me about this year's finalists. While I had read and thought Emma Bull's Territory was an excellent novel and Goss's short story certainly was enjoyable (although I thought Daniel Abraham's story was stronger), I just cannot help but feel there was something lacking for this year's award. Normally, I would have bought, read, and reviewed all of the finalists in most of the categories, but this year I didn't. Perhaps it's just a "me" thing more than anything else, but what did others think about the finalists and the winners of these awards?

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites