The OF Blog: Cover Art Thoughts

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Cover Art Thoughts


I just received my copy of the new Spanish edition of Andrzej Sapkowski's fifth Witcher book, Bautismo de Fuego (Baptism of Fire). As was the case for the newest edition of the second book, La espada del destino (The Sword of Destiny), the cover was illustrated by Alejandro Colucci, based on a design by Alejandro Terán.

I couldn't help but notice how the young woman is portrayed in this illustration. While I have my suspicions as to who it is (I know it's not Yennefer and probably not Ciri), what struck me about the near photo-realistic illustration is how the character represents a somewhat conflicted dualism. I first noticed that the nose is not the button-cute one, but a "stronger" one that accentuates the set jaw and the eyes, which are concentrated on some unseen prize. It is not a "hawt" woman per se, but yet an athletic but attractive one.

Furthermore, the attire, while containing elements of standard-issue sexist dress (the super-short tunic/shorts, the hint of cleavage) , is very muted in color and blends in well with the sylvan surroundings. It is as if the character was viewed as being attractive/sexy, but not presented in the expected cheesecake "sexy" pose.

I am curious what reactions readers here had when viewing this cover art for the first time. In the meantime, I'll alternate between reading this book, watching election day coverage, and writing a Powerpoint presentation for class tomorrow.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Now look where the arrow is positioned.

Larry Nolen said...

Ha! :P I guess I didn't think of that! I was all about the face/nose, ya know... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I want to mention that the correct credits about the covers of spanish edition of Geralt de Rivia are: Artwork: Alejandro Colucci
Lettering: Alejandro Teran

Thanks,
Best,
Alejandro Colucci

 
Add to Technorati Favorites