The OF Blog: 2009 Graphic Novels Read/Owned to Date

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

2009 Graphic Novels Read/Owned to Date

As I did with the earlier post on 2009 Anthologies/Short Story Collections, I'm going to list the graphic novels (spec fic, non-spec fic, non-fiction) that I've read to date, plus the ones I've owned. Since I'm hoping to have a more comprehensive look at some of the best 2009 releases in graphic novel form, feel free to suggest graphic novels that I ought to consider:

1. Shaun Tan, Tales from Outer Suburbia (illustrated stories)

2. Michael Crowley and Dan Golman, 08: A Graphic Diary of the Campaign Trail (non-fiction, political)

3. Antony Johnston and Wilson Tortosa, Wolverine: Prodigal Son (manga-style)

4. Jim Butcher, The Dresden Files: Storm Front: Vol. I: The Gathering Storm (graphic novel adaptation of a previously-published novel)

5. Tim Hamilton, Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation (graphic novel adaptation of a previously-published novel)

6. Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm, Babymouse: Dragonslayer (children's story told in graphic novel form)

7. Patricia Briggs, Mercy Thompson: Homecoming (prequel to a previously-published series, originally told in graphic novel format)

8. David Petersen, Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (collection of a previously-published comic)

9. Marvin Mann and A. David Lewis, Some New Kind of Slaughter (collection of a previously-published comic)


In Progress:

10. Yoshihiro Tatsumi, A Drifting Life (graphic novel memoir of one of Japan's most influential manga writers)

11. David Mazzucchelli, Asterios Polyp


Add in about two dozen other graphic novels published in other years that I've read (or re-read) this year and the number seems a bit better. But I'd like to discover about another 5-6 really good 2009 graphic novel releases, so if you were to know of any, please feel free to suggest as many as you'd like!

Edit: I finished the Mazzucchelli. Damn good, that story was. It'll be a while before I can even comprehend the thought of trying to find the words for describing how many heartstrings were plucked here. Go out and buy/read it ASAP. How's that for high praise?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, it sort of counts as a 2009 release: Vol 2 (of 5, I think) of the Y: the Last Man hardcovers was released this year. If you haven't read it, you could do a lot, lot worse than picking up that (and vol 1, which was released last year, of course). It was my favourite comic series of the last few years.

Shannon said...

I loved The Eternal Smile by Gene Luen Yang. I read AD New Orleans by Josh Neufeld last week and it was pretty good. The Photographer was amazing, possibly my favorite this year. I read Locke & Key Volume 1 earlier this year and it was great. The second volume is out soon.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites