The OF Blog: Books that will arrive too late to make my Best of 2009 lists

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Books that will arrive too late to make my Best of 2009 lists

Although I have read virtually all of the 2009 releases that I wanted to read (having received several dozen that did not interest me at all), here are a few books I ordered yesterday that will not arrive in time for me to read/review this year, therefore they will not appear on my Best of 2009 lists, despite several having potential of being included there (thus this separate post with the Best of 2009 label):

Alice Munro, Too Much Happiness: Stories (short fiction collection)

Geoff Dyer, Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi (mimetic fiction)

Brian Azzarello, Noir (graphic novel)

John Layman and Rob Guillory, Chew Volume 1: Taster's Choice (graphic novel)

G. Willow Wilson and M.K. Perker, Air Vol. 1: Letters from Lost Countries (graphic novel)


Of course, I could end up reading some of these by the 31st, but since my graphic novel post will be made a day or two earlier and the same for the collection/anthologies posts, I decided that I would end my consideration of books after today's reads (two more anthologies to go). More later, of course.

4 comments:

Brian Lindenmuth said...

FYI on Noir. I know that a lot of the retailer sites have Azzarello listed as the author but it is really an anthology.

His story is great and is the closing one. The opener by David Lapham is the other great story in the collection. It offers an interesting commentary and critique on the roles of women (more specifically female characters) in crime fiction.

I have half a review written that I'll have to try to get back to after the holidays.

Larry Nolen said...

Yeah, I saw that when I ordered and forgot to make that clear in my post. Actually, there are quite a few authors there that I'm curious about. Too bad it won't arrive until after I've begun writing my review of the 2009 graphic novels that I've read. Do have high hopes for it, based on the lineup.

Brian Lindenmuth said...

It almost reads more like a sampler then an anthology to be honest. The length of the stories works against some them, like only one small part of a larger story is being shown.

With that said I still liked it a lot though.

You should consider checking out Scalped by Jason Aaron; You Have Killed Me by Jamie Rich and Low Moon by Jason. Some interesting and diverse crime comics.

Larry Nolen said...

Might look into those in a few weeks, once I've recovered my bank balance somewhat from the past two months' spending. Thanks!

 
Add to Technorati Favorites