The OF Blog: The OF Blog turns 8 today

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The OF Blog turns 8 today


Yes, it was back on August 25, 2004 that I created this blog and made the first post.  As I've said many times before in the past, this blog (originally named OF Blog of the Fallen after both Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen fantasy series and the now-defunct wotmania's Other Fantasy section) was originally meant to be an extension of my past duties as moderator/admin for wotmania.  How things have changed in the interim!  Not much fantasy is discussed these days, in part due to there not being all that many secondary-world fantasies that interest me (I'm more of a weird fiction reader when I do read "genre fiction") and also because there are some interesting fictions in other traditions that appeal to me more.  And yet through it all, technically this blog has always been a collaborative effort, although it seems the other members fell off on the roadside some years ago (still, open door and all).

I tried and failed to think of something witty or substantive to say when writing this post.  Therefore, I'll leave it up to you to decide what should be said in praise or denouncement of this blog.  What draws you here and what do you wish had been done differently?  While I know the lack of a (French) Canadian point of view may negatively impact this blog's visibility, I'm sure there are other things that you can say, good and bad alike, about the squirrels that do yeoman's work here, right?

So yeah, feel free to leave diatribes, spam, love letters, and nuts in the comments section.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always read your reviews and while I sometimes think I prefer the blend of stuff you were reviewing 2-3 years ago (a little more genre, a little less literary stuff) I think you're one of the community's best readers.

So please keep up the good work Larry!

Larry Nolen said...

Thanks. My interests wax and wane, so who knows? Maybe there will be more genre fictions reviewed here in the near future.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Happy Bloggiversary.

Yours is a few months older than my blog, and get a feeling that the online world has changed and few of the old ones from my blogroll are still around and not drawn in by the lure of FB (fortunately, there are new blogs, too), so it sorta feels like coming home reading yours that has been on my list pretty much since I started blogging myself. And no changed layout, either. :)

Larry Nolen said...

Well, I changed it twice. First was back in 2007, when I figured out how to modify a layout to make it easier to read (the earlier had a light blue background). Then in 2009, I changed the header from blue to green. Other than that, nope, no plans to change.

But I do use FB and Twitter a lot, though. Just not in lieu of blogging.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Yeah, I mean those who totally wandered off to different pastures, and there have been some (maybe not so much review blogs but history ones I used to read) or stopped blogging altogether.

I remember the title change but it didn't change the overall look of your blog (not like Adam's complete overhaul; though his does look sleeker now than with the brown background). I've stuck to my template, too, over the years.

David Soares said...

Congratulations, Larry! Keep it sharp.

Cheers!
David Soares

l.s. johnson said...

congrats on the birthday. though i am a latecomer to your blog, i must say it is on my life's to-do list to someday see a work of mine undergo your thoughtful dissection.

cheers

l.s.

barroca said...

Congrats! keep up the good work.

Harry Markov said...

Is it too late to leave nuts?

 
Add to Technorati Favorites