The OF Blog: For the next five weeks, I'm planning to review from this list of books

Sunday, May 26, 2013

For the next five weeks, I'm planning to review from this list of books

Nothing like a little challenge to get me to do something, I suppose.  I just wrote out a list (although there are dates listed, the order of the reviews almost certainly will change) of books that I'd like to review for the remainder of this month and June (this does not include any Flannery O'Connor short stories that I might review, although I did include her second novel).  Almost all of the late May/early June entries will be reviewed around those dates, as I'd like to have at least short reviews for each of the ten shortlisted books for the 2013 IMPAC Dublin Literary Prize completed before the winner is announced on June 6.  Something tells me that many will have read at least some of the books on the list:

May:

26  Arthur Phillips, The Tragedy of Arthur/F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night
27  Kjersti A. Skomsvold, The Faster I Walk, the Smaller I Am
28  Michel Houellebecq, The Map and the Territory
29  Andrew Miller, Pure
30  Sjón, From the Mouth of the Whale
31  Tommy Wieringa, Little Caesar/Caesarion

June:

1  Karen Russell, Swamplandia!
2  Kevin Barry, City of Bohane
3  Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
4  Chimamanda Adichie, Americanah
5  Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
6  Zoran Živković, The Last Book
7  Zoran Živković, Find Me
8  Jean-Marie Blas de Robles, Where the Tigers are at Home
9  William H. Gass, Middle C
10  Ron Currie Jr., Flimsy Little Plastic Miracles
11  Thomas Wolfe, Look Homeward, Angel
12  Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Jinni
13  Sofia Samatar, A Stranger in Olondria
14  Karen Joy Fowler, We are all Completely Beside Ourselves
15  Flannery O'Connor, The Violent Bear it Away
16  Kate Atkinson, Life After Life
17  M. John Harrison, Empty Space
18  Ismail Kadare, The Fall of the Stone City
19  Thomas Wolfe, O Lost
20  Nihad Sirees, The Silence and the Roar
21  Jim Gavin, Middle Men
22  Thomas Wolfe, Of Time and the River
23  Yoko Ogawa, Revenge
24  Donna Tartt, The Secret History
25  F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise
26  F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Beautiful and the Damned
27  Thomas Wolfe, The Web and the Rock
28  Thomas Wolfe, You Can't Go Home Again
29  Graham Greene, The Power and the Glory
30  Graham Greene, The End of the Affair

It'll be interesting to see how closely I manage to keep to this demanding schedule.  But I do plan on writing two reviews this evening.

2 comments:

Mihai A. said...

That's quite a list there, Larry. And although not all of the titles hold an interest for me I'll be checking out your reviews :)

Liviu said...

Interesting list and I am curious what you think about Caesarion as that was a book that imho missed "greatness" by a little as it was first 2/3 awesome and last 1/3 very unbalanced

Of the rest, Tigers was one of those
once in a decade" books for me and now about 9 months after first read, one reread in English, one in French and one in Romanian later, it still is there, Murakami and Houellebeck were very impressive on first read but both faded somewhat since, couldn't get along with Sjon and thought the book very overrated/pretentious/boring/etc, liked Last Book but thought it too contrived/clever for cleverness' sake, got stuck (surprisingly) in Revenge, while started and should finish sometime Olondria and Empty space

I also read Pure and found it ok but nothing special, while from the classics read Greene long time ago (used to be huge fan and read a lot of his work)

 
Add to Technorati Favorites