The OF Blog: What's been released so far in 2013 that I should consider reading/reviewing?

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What's been released so far in 2013 that I should consider reading/reviewing?

The titular question pretty much says it all:  what books, whether they are novels; poetry collections; short fiction collections; anthologies; realist fictions; speculative fictions; weird fictions; non-Anglophone works in languages that I can read (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, and with help some German and Serbian), that have been released in 2013 that I should consider reading/reviewing that I have not yet read?

Below is a list of the 2013 releases that I have read, followed by those owned that I haven't yet finished reading:

Already Read:

1.  Leah Stewart, The History of Us
2.  Tomas Dobozy, Siege 13 (collection)
3.  George Saunders, Tenth of December (collection; already reviewed)
4.  Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, A Memory of Light (already reviewed)
5.  Jim Harrison, The River Swimmer
6.  Thomas Maltman, Little Wolves
7.  Ayun Halliday and Paul Hoppe, Peanut (graphic novel)
8.  João Barreiros (ed.), Lisboa no Ano 2000 (Portuguese; anthology; already reviewed)
9.  Yoko Ogawa, Revenge (collection)
10. Adam Mansbach, Rage is Back
11. Jamaica Kincaid, See Now Then (already reviewed)
12. Lauren Elkin and Scott Esposito, The End of Oulipo? (non-fiction)
13. Angélica Gorodischer, Trafalgar (English translation; already reviewed)
14. Karen Russell, Vampires in the Lemon Grove (collection; already reviewed)
15. Karen Lord, The Best of All Possible Worlds (made a brief commentary already)
16. Carlene Bauer, Frances and Bernard
17. John Thavis, The Vatican Diaries (non-fiction; already reviewed)
18. Ismail Kadare, The Fall of the Stone City (English translation)
19. Jennifer Cody Epstein, The Gods of Heavenly Punishment
20. Pierre Grimbert, The Secret of Ji:  Six Heirs
21. John Joseph Adams and Douglas Cohen (eds.), Oz Reimagined (anthology)
22. Xu Lei, Search for the Buried Bomber (English translation)
23. Jim Gavin, Middle Men (collection)
24. Ruth Ozeki, A Tale for the Time Being (already reviewed)
25. William H. Gass, Middle C
26. Nalo Hopkinson, Sister Mine
27. Nihad Sirees, The Silence and the Roar
28.  Kate Atkinson, Life After Life
29. Mary Beth Keane, Fever
30. Jean-Marie Blas de Robles, Where Tigers are at Home (US edition of English translation)
31. James Salter, All That Is
32. Alliah, Metanfetaedro (Portuguese; collection)
33. Ron Currie Jr., Flimsy Little Plastic Miracles
34. Jonathan Dee, A Thousand Pardons
35. Justin Landon and Jared Shurin (eds.), Speculative Fiction 2012 (non-fiction anthology; contains two articles by myself)
36. M. John Harrison, Empty Space (US edition)
37. May Swenson, Collected Poems (Library of America edition)
38. Ildefonso Falcones, La reina descalza (Spanish)
39. James Kelman, Mo Said She Was Quirky

Own But Not Yet Finished Reading:

40. Mike Allen (ed.), Clockwork Phoenix 4 (anthology; I contributed to the Kickstarter funding of it)
41. Denise Kiernan, The Girls of Atomic City (non-fiction)
42. Chimamanda Adichie, Americanah
43. W.S. Merwin, The Collected Poems of W.S. Merwin (two-volume Library of America edition)
44. Brooks D. Simpson (ed.), The Civil War:  The Third Year Told By Those Who Lived It (non-fiction anthology published by the Library of America)
45. Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Jinni

While this might seem like an exhaustive list of 2013 releases to date, I'm certain there are several promising and/or outstanding works that have slipped my attention.  So feel free to suggest recent releases that might be of interest to me and/or this blog's readership.

10 comments:

Aisha said...

I'd be interested in seeing what you make of Sofia Samatar's A Stranger in Olondria. I've put it aside for now in favour of more urgent reads, but the third or so I read was promising.

Larry Nolen said...

Premise sounds interesting, so I've added it to my Amazon cart, to be purchased on payday/Friday, along with pre-ordering the Fowler book you mentioned on Twitter. Thanks! :D

Justin Howe said...

I was going to suggest A Stranger in Olondria as well. I finished it last week and it was great.

Other suggestions:

Conservation of Shadows by Yoon Ha Lee
Mending the Moon by Susan Palwick
The Asylum by John Harwood
The Mapmaker's War by Ronlyn Domingue

John said...

I too would like to suggest 'A Stranger in Olondria'.

Larry Nolen said...

I'll look into those other titles shortly, Justin. And it seems the Samatar is a very popular choice, so that certainly will be read within the next week or so :D

Paul Smith said...

You are waiting for me to write up Middle C aren't you?

Liviu said...

not a novel per se, but the Granta 123 - 20 British authors under 40 edition 2013 - offers a very good sample of their writing; Sarah Hall, Jenni Fagan, Helen Oyeyemi, Steven Hall, Ned Beauman, Joanna Kavenna are among the writers highlighted and all wrote sff-nal/associational stuff for that matter; two more writers I really enjoyed from the issue were Taiye Selasie and Xiaolu Guo

quite a few upcoming novels that are excerpted there made my asap list

Larry Nolen said...

Yes, Paul, I am :P

Larry Nolen said...

I forgot to list that Granta issue, but I do have it on my iOS devices. Good issue, though.

Kathleen said...

Lauren Beukes' The Shining Girls?

 
Add to Technorati Favorites