The OF Blog: Collections

Friday, February 18, 2011

Collections


Collecting is such a universal human trait.  Whether it is cars, guns, books, or scars, so many of us enjoy organizing and collating things that should be brought together, at least in our minds.  When I was in my early teens, baseball card (and later, sports cards) collecting was the big time, just as it was morphing in the mid-1980s from a youthful activity to a lucrative business opportunity for traders.  I gave that up, however, before I graduated from high school.  Lately, I've begun collecting leatherbound books, in particular the Easton Press 100 Greatest Books Ever Written and assorted Franklin Library books from their lists that aren't reproduced on the Easton Press list.

There is a sense of enjoyment in tracking down good quality used books for a relatively affordable price.  In the picture above, roughly 75% of the leatherbound books I own are pictured.  I imagine that there are other collectors reading this article.  Perhaps you have stories and/or pictures of your collections, whether they be of books or of something else?  I'd love to see them, in case my curiosity might be sparked once again.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites