The OF Blog: Ever been curious about "international" SF?

Monday, February 24, 2014

Ever been curious about "international" SF?

I received this press release in my inbox a couple of weeks ago from Cheryl Morgan, who runs Wizard's Towers Press, and I meant to make a quick post about it, but I was extremely busy with preparations for a series of state-mandated assessments and I forgot until this weekend to read into it.  She has made available in e-book formats an anthology of translated SF short fiction from Croatian writers called Kontakt.  So far, I've only had time to read the forward and the introduction, but the story descriptions sound very interesting and I hope I'll have time to read them over the next few weeks (I've barely been reading anything this month besides two WWI-related fictions that I'm slowly translating from their native languages into English - via Google Translate, as I do not know either one well enough to read with full reading comprehension, as this likely will continue into March or even April).  Here's part of the press release, for those who want more info (by the way, it cost me $6.82 - £3.99 - for the anthology, which is nearly 300 pages on my iPad screen):


Croatian Anthology TO BE PUBLISHED BY Wizard’s Tower

Wizard’s Tower Press is pleased to announce the publication of an ebook edition of Kontakt: An Anthology of Croatian SF, edited by Tatjana Jambrišak and Darko Macan.
                                 
This Croatian anthology, originally published in paperback for the 2012 the European Science Fiction Convention (Eurocon) in Zagreb where it was given away free to members, was an immediate hit with readers of the genre. “We wanted to present the best Croatian genre stories to the English-speaking audiences, the intention was to showcase Croatian science fiction and fantasy fiction to the wider world,” said Darko Macan. All the stories are translated into English, and many of the authors have won Croatian national genre literary awards.

Of the twelve stories in the book, two have already achieved recognition outside of Croatia. “The Corridor” by Darko Macan won the Lapis Histriae, an international short story competition open to writers from Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Montenegro. “Every Time We Say Goodbye” by Zoran Vlahović received an honorable mention in the 2013 Science Fiction and Fantasy Translation Awards. Until now, the anthology has never been generally available for sale.

“I had little idea of what to expect when I visited Croatia for the Eurocon, and was blown away by the friendliness, enthusiasm and organizational skills of the people that I met. I liked the country so much that I went back again last year. I am delighted to be able to bring some of the finest science fiction and fantasy by Croatian writers to a wider audience,” said Cheryl Morgan, owner of Wizard’s Tower Press.

Kontakt: An Anthology of Croatian SF will be available for the Kindle, and in the standard epub format for other reading devices and computers. It will be available worldwide. Copies are available now from the Wizard’s Tower bookstore (http://www.wizardstowerbooks.com/), and will appear in other popular stores in due course.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites