The OF Blog: Blogger Book Club Proposal

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Blogger Book Club Proposal

Since it seems there are a few who are interested in doing some sort of a book club that would span several blogs, consider this a post to gauge further interest and perhaps to get feedback on a few proposals. Hopefully, we can get around a half-dozen or so people to participate and that this can be more than a one or two-time affair. So if you would, please respond with your willingness to participate and if you have further suggestions/counter proposals to the ones listed below:

1. One blogger will be chosen in some fashion (previous book chooser? vote?) to choose a book for reading.

2. All books must be: 1) Available in English, 2) Be in-print or easily acquired, 3) Published before 2005.

3. Books don't have to be shelved in the SF/F category in most bookstores, but that there ought to be some sort of "speculative" element in the tale.

4. Minimum of 4 weeks between book selection and book discussions.

5. Book will be discussed on participant blogs inside of a week of the chosen date, if possible (considering I barely have time to read books these days, I'm not going to complain if work/personal issues force an abandonment of plans).

6. Links to other participant book club blog posts to be added at the bottom of the book post, whenever noted.

7. Comments on one's own blog can be in whatever style the participant chooses (since each of us has our own styles and reviewing preferences). Also, comments on the others' blogs is encouraged, since discussion is what makes things interesting.

Anything else come to mind that ought to be discussed here? If things are okay with people, I'll post something this weekend, say a book for discussion (provided people don't mind me being the first to select a book).

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea... although given the availability of books in English around here I might not be able to participate. But I'll try :) and no problem with you choosing the book.

Anonymous said...

(previous book chooser? vote?)

We used to do a book club at Instant Fanzine where everyone could nominate a book and then we all voted.

I'd be interested but I couldn't guarantee I'd be able to participate. (This is one of the things that killed the IF group.)

Anonymous said...

I´m ok with the rules, Larry. I´m in - and I´d already have a book to propose, if I may. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ops! I misread you last sentence - I understood you didn´t want to be the one to choose the first book. By all means, do so!! :-)

Neth said...

good idea, but I'll have to pass. I just don't have the time to dedicate to this.

John Ottinger III (Grasping for the Wind) said...

I might like to be a part of this. However, I'd like the option to opt out/opt in occasionally, depending on time and money.

Mihai A. said...

OK I'm in. Of course sometimes I will not be able to participate, but basically I would like to take part at this book club :)
Great idea, by the way ;)

Gabriele Campbell said...

Sounds interesting. I'd give it a try.

Larry Nolen said...

Opt in/out at any time is fine with me, as this isn't meant to be anything more than just a casual discussion group. Looking at the books I have/want to read (or re-read), there are a few that are difficult to choose between, so I might just run a second poll here just to see what people would prefer. Fair enough?

Kristen said...

I'd be interested in participating in this some of time as well. Sometimes I might not have the time to do so but since it's casual and opting out when you're too busy is an option, it sounds like fun and a good way to find some new books to read.

Larry Nolen said...

That's pretty much the idea behind this - being casual in nature and organization, with the ultimate goal of introducing slightly older books to readers who might not have heard of them, much less have read them.

Aidan Moher said...

I'll be interested in this when I'm back from my travels.

Certainly looking forward to it getting off the ground.

~Aidan

Larry Nolen said...

I hope it's decentralized enough to appeal to the sensibilities of many, as it's just a simple, basic way of talking and sharing that can lead to more people discovering wonderful literature.

Tia Nevitt said...

I like the idea and I'd want to occasionally participate, especially if the novel in question is one of the author's first.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting idea and one I think could be really good for hearty discussion. Although, as others have said, the option to opt out sometimes would help due to time/money etc...

Larry Nolen said...

Opt-out/in is indeed the plan, Mark, as it's just a very casual affair in the first place.

Jonah said...

I'm definitely interested in participating. After you get the book selected, I'll be going out to pick it up. As for who gets to choose next, I'm up for whatever anyone else suggests.

Larry Nolen said...

Cool, I should have something posted by Thursday night, depending on how the voting goes. Looks like it's so close that I might end up having to cast the tiebreaking vote.

Anonymous said...

count me in, with the same reserves that jen expressed (non-availability of the book etc.)
as for who choses: you go first and then nominate someone else to be the next choser.

Larry Nolen said...

Will do, Horia. Hope the book will be available!

 
Add to Technorati Favorites