The OF Blog: A Matter of Choice

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Matter of Choice

Two books are due to arrive tomorrow, Thomas Ligotti's My Work Is Not Yet Done and China Miéville's The City & the City. For some, the choice of which of these would be read first would be clear-cut, for others, it would also be clear-cut, but in a different way. A few might even vacillate between the two.

Never heard of Ligotti? You really ought to sample any of his work that you can find. Miéville? I have high hopes, but I just don't know if he's yet mastered the art of crafting prose for his stories the way Ligotti has for his. Yet most people would likely choose the new Miéville over the new Ligotti so they could choose the devil they know.

Ever wondered what it would be like to travel the road less taken?


P.S. Tamar Yellin's 2008 collection, Tales of the Lost Tribes, is excellent. She too knows how to make each word count.

2 comments:

Mihai A. said...

It is nice to read the authors I know and like, but it is equally nice to discover new authors as well. So it is a tough choice, but I incline towards Ligotti :)

Larry Nolen said...

I read the Ligotti last night. Will be recommending it quite highly whenever I write the review for it.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites