The OF Blog: D&D Sonnet #1

Sunday, September 09, 2012

D&D Sonnet #1

Here is the first of a potentially few sonnets to be composed as commentaries/reviews of D&D fiction.  It is a challenge to narrate thoughts within Shakespearean sonnet form of 14 lines of ABABCDCDEFEFGG 10 syllabic verse, but this opening one, referencing the works I've been asked to read, perhaps shall give a better idea of the challenge ahead (my Dark Lady has asked me not to link to the audio recording I made of this):

Let us not to the marriage of true minds
Admit poor D&D, love is not love
Which alters when Forgotten Realms it finds,
Or bends with the Dragonlance to remove.
O no, it is an ever fixèd mark
That looks on fell Drizzt and is n'er shaken;
He is the fearsome Elf that is so Dark,
Whose sword rings chill; his measure never taken.
Love's not time's fool, though Crysania be meek
In her love for Raistlin Majere shall bloom,
Love alters not with a brief hour or week,
But bears it out even to prophetic doom:

      If this be error and upon me proved,
      I never writ, nor no woman so loved.

There will be at least two more giving my actual thoughts on the Dragonlance:  Legends and Forgotten Realms:  Icewind Dale trilogies.  Agnus dei miserere nobis


3 comments:

Sebastian Clouth said...

Hi,

I'm the editor for the Books section on Before It's News,‭ ‬and I came across your website, The OF Blog. 

It’s fantastic! We'd love to republish your RSS feed on our site, accompanied by a description of your blog and link back to your website. You'd benefit from having some of our millions of readers see your posts and go through to your blog.

Let me know if this sounds like something you're interested in‭!

Best regards,
Sebastian Clouth
SClouth@beforeitsnews.com

Gabriele Campbell said...

Glitter squirrels. Awww.

Larry Nolen said...

(Pink glitter) squirrels make everything better. This is known.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites