The OF Blog: A childhood favorite, rediscovered

Thursday, April 10, 2008

A childhood favorite, rediscovered


A couple of days ago, I was cleaning out a disorganized pile of books in the elementary school library at the residential treatment center where I work, when I came across Mitchell Sharmat's Gregory, the Terrible Eater. I received this book when I was a first grader, back in 1980-1981, and I remember thinking how cool the illustrations were and how strange it was that a goat was a picky eater.

So naturally I brought the book into my classroom when the afternoon session began and I read it again. I still found the illustrations to be wonderful, the story interesting, and the notion of a goat wanting veggies instead of wholesome junk to be strange and intriguing. To think that it was due to books like this that I developed my love for reading and later for speculative works. Just thought I'd post a little bit this morning in tribute to one of those magical works that got me hooked on reading.

Anyone have similar books to share here?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorting through boxes of old books last year during Spring cleaning led to me to re-read The Trumpet of the Swan and The Rats of NIMH, two books that really cemented my love of reading when I was younger and eased my path into longer, novel-length works.

Larry Nolen said...

Ooh! Ooh! I loved those books when I was like 7 or 8! I'm tempted to go to my local library and check those out, to relive some fond memories.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites