The OF Blog: Nebula Award winners announced

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Nebula Award winners announced

Taken from Science Fiction Awards Watch:

  • Novel: The Yiddish Policemen’s Union - Michael Chabon (HarperCollins, May07)
  • Novella: “Fountain of Age” - Nancy Kress (Asimov’s, Jul07)
  • Novelette: “The Merchant and the Alchemist’s Gate” - Ted Chiang (F&SF, Sep07)
  • Short Story: “Always” - Karen Joy Fowler (Asimov’s, Apr/May07)
  • Script: Pan’s Labyrinth - Guillermo del Toro (Time/Warner, Jan07)
  • Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling (Scholastic Press, Jul07)
Read the Chabon a week ago and I really, really enjoyed it. Out of the three finalists that I read (it and Hopkinson and Buckell's entries), this probably would have received my vote. Will try to read the other winners later this year, with the exception of the Harry Potter book, which I read back in 2007.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed a lot Chabon´s book. To be frank, although I also enjoyed BRASYL, I´m also betting The Yiddish... will get the Hugo as well.

Larry Nolen said...

After having read both of those, those were the only Hugo finalists that have even interested me, much less being ones that I've read. I'm planning on doing a short little feature on some of these awards in the coming weeks, time/energy permitting, of course.

But between those two, I too would choose Chabon over McDonald for the Hugo.

Fish Monkey said...

I loved Chabon's book. Lurved it, even. And I am guessing that Brasyl will take the Hugo.

Larry Nolen said...

It certainly seems as though it might be a two book race between McDonald and Chabon, as the others don't seem to garnering any nominations elsewhere (or much in the way of positive talk).

Anonymous said...

I just got "Rollback" and "Halting State", and I´m starting to read them as soon as I finish Steampunk to review on The Fix - but, even though I usually like Robert Sawyer and Charles Stross´s works (Stross better than Sawyer), I don´t think they can hold a candle (is that expression right?) to Chabon and McDonald this year.

Larry Nolen said...

I've yet to like a Stross novel and the one Sawyer I've read (Calculating God, I believe) was merely adequate, so it's not too hard for me to dismiss them out of hand.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites