The OF Blog: Needing some short fiction titles, please

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Needing some short fiction titles, please

One of the other hats that I wear besides blogging and making an online fool out of myself is that of a teacher at a residential treatment center. Although my areas of public school certification are in the social studies, here I have to teach all subjects. While Language Arts is not a problem in general (my mother has taught English at both the middle school and high school levels for the past 37 years), trying to remember specific titles that I could use that a) would be enjoyable and b) I could use to assess knowledge and understanding of themes can be a problem.

So here's a bit of an open forum for suggestions. Since I teach students whose reading levels range from a 1st grade capacity (I'm having to teach two teen boys how to read) to college-level, it is challenging to come up with interesting stories that I can use for each subgroup. While I'm currently using Lois Lowery's excellent The Giver with my female students, I'm finding myself needing shorter stories that can engage them without being overly this or that. So, what do you suggest for me to buy over the next month or so (if said stories aren't public domain and available online)?

6 comments:

Mihai A. said...

Some short stories that I enjoyed recently are:
Ted Chiang's short stories, "Skull City" by Lucius Shepard and some of Stephen King's.

Anonymous said...

I second Chiang. I think I really would have enjoyed reading them when I was in school.

-CN

Anonymous said...

A story that is sure to engage anyone involved in a residential treatement facility is "Crazy School" by Cornelia Read. Just released in Jan 2008. http://greenclovers.net/bookstore.htm

Anonymous said...

A story that is sure to engage anyone involved in a residential treatement facility is "Crazy School" by Cornelia Read. Just released in Jan 2008. http://greenclovers.net/bookstore.htm
http://astore.amazon.com/katmoycom-20/images/044658259X/102-2546478-2133712

Si- said...

I don't know if it is too long, but one YA novel which might be good is John Marsden's 'Tomorrow when the war began'. It's an Alternate future series of novels about some teenagers. Its kind of fun and exciting, if a little ridiculous.

Mind you, it might be hard to find in bookstores.

Larry Nolen said...

I'll look into some of these, although I personally think Chiang's short stories are beyond at least three of my students, if not all of them.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites