The OF Blog: Dune: Three Editions and more

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Dune: Three Editions and more


Lately, Frank Herbert's classic SF novel, Dune, has been on my mind for a variety of reasons. There was an aside here that made me think back to it and its meaning to me. There was a random search on Amazon a month ago that turned up the Serbian translation of the first third of the novel (far right), headed up by a notable author, Zoran Živković, whose own works I have enjoyed immensely. There was the time a few years ago that I imported the Spanish translation (seen in the middle) just so I could see how the story read in translation.

But through it all, I have not read the novel in English since late 2001/early 2002 or fully in translation since 2004 (although I shall be trying to complete both in the next few weeks). In a time in which Earth Day is now an annual celebration/call to arms, this eco-novel (among a great many other things) is just as relevant and as important now as it was back in the mid-1960s when it was serialized and later released as a single volume. Hopefully, I'll find the time in the coming weeks to make a few posts here and there (and some even on the blog) about this book, which is one of my all-time favorite SF novels.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites