The OF Blog: Finished 100 books at the year's quarter-mark

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Finished 100 books at the year's quarter-mark

Fun facts and figures about these 100 reads:

17 of the books were re-reads from previous years

A surprisingly low 8 books were fully or partially-written by women

16 were read in Spanish, but none in any of the other languages I can read to some extent

Another 10 books were originally published in languages such as German, Serbian, Polish, French, and Hungarian

18 bear 2009 copyrights

Only 1 of those 18 is a debut novel

Roberto Bolaño is the most-read author in this list, with 11 of his books appearing on this list of 100 books read through April 1, 2009

Out of the 18 books bearing 2009 copyrights, these will be considered for my year-end lists:



James Morrow, Shambling Towards Hiroshima

Shaun Tan, Tales from Outer Suburbia

Felix Gilman, Gears of the City

Brian Evenson, Last Days

Jonathan Littell, The Kindly Ones

Dan Simmons, Drood

Ann and Jeff VanderMeer (eds.), Best American Fantasy 2

Nick Gevers and Jay Lake (eds.), Other Earths

Mark C. Newton, Nights of Villjamur


Likelihood that I reach 200 books read before July 1:  around 50/50.  Thoughts?

10 comments:

Lotesse said...

Lol. My number is 11.

Mark said...

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts of Villjamur! :)

Unknown said...

I've read 45 books, and that's about twice my usual -- thanks to my February project of reading a short book a day. I continue to find your reading pace nothing short of astonishing.

Larry Nolen said...

May,

Be sure to steal that box from Dunja when it arrives in a couple of weeks. Inside will be almost double your number to date ;)

Mark,

This weekend. For some reason, I haven't been motivated to review during my week off work.

Terry,

Don't know what to say, other than I don't read more than 2-3 hours a day, if that. Usually when I'm on the exercise bike these days, come and think of it. That and most of the books are short :P

Lotesse said...

Larry, the way things are right now, I don't think you can actually imagine how deep I am in schoolwork, trash, gymnastics, volunteering and other things right now. And if things don't change it is very unlikely for me to read more than 30 books this year. :(

No matter, I am sure you will read for both of us. :)

Larry Nolen said...

Actually, I think I can imagine, as I'd just have to bring back memories of 2005 of working 40 hours a week plus taking five classes at a local university. I think I only got around 50 books read that year and maybe 4-5 hours a night to sleep. Not fun.

But you only have one more year before university, right? :D

Lotesse said...

Yeah. One. I can't decide if it is too long or too short.

Larry Nolen said...

It'll be both. Trust me on that.

Nephtis said...

8%? That's pathetic. I'm disappointed in you. Given that the natural occurence of women among writers of speculative fiction is significantly higher, it suggests avoidance on your part.

Larry Nolen said...

Actually, that's much lower than my norms for previous years, which is usually around 25-30%. It's more an accident of the reading, when I've been reviewing older fiction more than usual. I fully expect it to change in the next few months, as I have quite a few female authors lined up.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites