The OF Blog: Amazon Top 10 Lists

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Amazon Top 10 Lists

It's never too early to start posting Best of 2010 lists, especially if you are a major bookseller like Amazon.  Over the past two days, Amazon has released their Amazon Top 100, with the final 10 being released today.  In addition, The Amazon Top 10 in SF/Fantasy has been released.  Edited by Jeff VanderMeer, this list makes a strong argument for the emergence of new, fresh voices.  I'll highlight the selections I own/have read from this list (although I own/read 7 on the Top 100, none were in the final 10):

Amazon Top 100 (#1-10)

  1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
  2. Faithful Place by Tana French
  3. Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes
  4. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
  5. The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
  6. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
  7. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
  8. To the End of the Land by David Grossman
  9. Just Kids by Patti Smith
  10. The Big Short by Michael Lewis

Amazon SF/Fantasy (#1-10)

#1 - The Golden Age by Michal Ajvaz, translated by Andrew Oakland (Dalkey Archive Press)
#2 - How to Live in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (Pantheon)
#3 - Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord (Small Beer Press)
#4 - The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman (Tor)
#5 - The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)
#6 - The Orange Eats Creeps by Grace Krilanovich (Two Dollar Radio)

#7 - The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer (St. Martin's Press)
#8 - Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (DAW)
#9 - The Fixed Stars by Brian Conn (Fiction Collective 2)

#10 - Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey (Eos) 

For more information on the Amazon SF/Fantasy list, click on these two links.

3 comments:

Liviu said...

The funny thing is that the sff in the top 100 bear only a middling resemblance to the sff here since they start with The Passage and contain Way of Kings, while miss some six or seven from the pure sff list.

As for the top 100, I read end to end 7, partly (100 pages min) 2 more and browsed easily half of them

Of my top 5 non-sff novels of 2010, 3 are on the list (Invisible Bridge, De Zoet and Room), while the 4th is not yet released in the US, only on Nov 9, but I bought an UK copy in October

On the sff side, I read #4, #5, #7, fast read #10, decided I have no interest in #2, #3, #8, while I would try #1, #6 or #9 if a copy comes into my hand but I am not sure if I would like to buy them based on the small samples I saw

Anonymous said...

oh well vandeemeer edited it well that explains why most of it that I have read I hated. Ok then, glad you said who edited it I can feel confident in ignoring the rest of it then.

Auto Blog Store said...

Thanks for the list. this is so help me to decide what items to put on my client auto blog store

 
Add to Technorati Favorites