The OF Blog: Here is a mostly-complete list of books I hope to review by Thanksgiving

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Here is a mostly-complete list of books I hope to review by Thanksgiving


Over the next three weeks or so, I hope to free up enough time to review most, if not all, of the books pictured here.  These will be the top-priority books (minus one book that I am not mentioning here that will be reviewed in the very near future) for reviews here this book.  In the first picture, here are the three books/volumes I plan on reviewing as part of my semi-regular Leatherbound Classics series:  Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. II; Herman Melville, Moby Dick; and Johannes Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust.  I have finished reading/re-reading the Gibbon and Goethe and lack less than 200 pages with the Melville, so expect at least one review in the next week.



 I am continuing my review series of translated fictions released by Dalkey Press.  I have read all but one of them (and am 1/3 into the other).  I also hope to review the Jemisin book.  I will almost certain review at least two of these in the next week:  Gert Jonke, The System of Vienna; Jonke, Homage to Czerny; Christine Montalbetti, Western; Pierre Siniac, The Collaborators; and N.K. Jemisin's just-released second novel, The Broken Kingdoms.  Only the Jemisin and Siniac are unfinished reads at this point.



 I also have hopes of writing at least two review columns on Brazilian/Portuguese fiction.  I have finished the first two volumes of a Brazilian anthology series, plus I am in the midst of doing some translations of the fourth, longer anthology.  Also plan on reviewing at least one of Brendan Connell's recent collections.  The books:  Tibor Moricz, Saint-Clair Stockler and Eric Novello, Imaginarios (three volumes); Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro and Luis Filpe Silva, Vaporpunk; Brendan Connell, Unpleasant Tales.  Hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks.



I have finished only one of these books, so these likely will be the last to be reviewed.  William H. Gass, Cartesian Sonata; Howard Jacobson, The Finkler Question; Brian Conn, The Fixed Stars; Ishmael Beah, A Long Way Gone; Felix Gilman, The Half-Made World; John Vaillant, The Tiger.

All part of a mostly-review month here at The OF Blog.  150 Reviews this year is well within reach if I post 15 each this month and next.  Plus, there will be at least two surprise reviews at some point in the next few weeks, so look for those as well.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, what a lot of books to review before Thanksgiving! Some of them sound really interesting, so I'll be watching for them. Good luck!

Larry Nolen said...

It usually takes me an hour or so to write a review, so if I have the energy after work, I could compose 1-2 a day, provided I had already read the book. This luckily is the case for the majority of the books listed here; some were originally read 2-3 weeks ago.

redhead said...

Impressive! I'm very intersted to hear about Vaporpunk, the Felix Gilman, and a handful of others.

I'm pretty much in awe.

Larry Nolen said...

Vaporpunk will be reviewed after I finish two more translations from it, so hopefully later this week.

Gabriele Campbell said...

And what happened to the Malazan reviews?

Larry Nolen said...

They got lost in other responsibilities. Maybe in December/January, just before the last one.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites