The OF Blog: Upcoming reviews

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Upcoming reviews

Had planned on writing a couple of reviews today, but I have been battling a kidney stone attack (my first ever) since early this morning and I haven't had energy to write anything at all until now.  But assuming that it does pass in the next 24-48 hrs., here are the books that I plan on reviewing by the end of the week:

Howard Jacobson, J (Booker Prize finalist)

David Mitchell, The Bone Clocks (Booker-longlisted title)

Eimear McBride, A Girl is a Half-formed Thing (Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction winner)

Haruki Murakami, Colorless Tzukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage


If I have the chance/ability, I also plan on reading Angélica Gorodischer's1994 short novel Prodigios, which I learned last month will be translated into English sometime next year and published by Small Beer Press.  Here is my rough translation of the back cover blurb:

Latest novel of the current classic writer Angélica Gorodischer, cult SF author and maestra of generations of female Latin American authors, Prodigies narrates the history of the birthplace of the poet Novalis following his death, when it was converted into the pension place (workhouse) of Weissenfels.  Undulant, subtile and full of humor, irony and dreams, this novel fills the abandoned house of the poet with women who inhabit it for the rest of the 19th century, and it continues to compose, with the flow of history, the secret trauma of its destinies.
Interesting, no?

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites