The OF Blog: Warren Zevon

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Warren Zevon



Warren Zevon is one of those singers that I wished I would have discovered earlier than my late 20s, as I didn't become aware of his often brilliant songwriter until he was in the last stages of his battle with cancer in 2003. Out of his songs, "My Shit's Fucked Up" has haunted me for a long time, with its combination of lyrics, emotion, and guitar work. Sometimes, I find myself trying to think of what book would go best with Zevon's music and I thought I'd ask any out there who've listened to Zevon if there are any particular types of books that they'd read with his music, in hopes that my memory might be jogged, as I seem to recall thinking years ago of a certain book that fit perfectly with this song in particular.

Suggestions?

6 comments:

Josh said...

I love Warren Zevon quite a lot. I've never thought of books to go with his songs, though - he's such a great storyteller in his own right that his songs don't seem to need any accompaniment.

Elena said...

i have only ever heard werewolves of london, which i love inordinately. downloading more of his stuff right now.

from what i would pair with werewolves (or your example song), something comedic that can be interrupted to savor a strong lyrical line of the song. maybe like some david sedaris type essays, or some hunter s thompson (or someone writing in his vein, a la AC Weisbecker who wrote Cosmic Banditos, in my opinion funniest book pretty much ever written. EVER.).

Anonymous said...

Michael Swanwick wrote a microfiction about him-available on his site.
excerpts:

....
"He's our Elvis," one werewolf said.
...
"This is because of his song Werewolves of London, isn't it? I've heard that's kind of like your national anthem."

A sharp-looking bitch with spectacular breasts jabbed me in the chest with one red-painted claw. "Yeah, sure, we like that song and Splendid Isolation and Excitable Boy and Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner. But it's not the subject, it's - "
...

whatwhat said...

Well...from Poe to maybe David F. Wallace? Really digging him. umm hmm hm hm. and the writing the writing the writing...love the grinding irony. look at the other artist who respected him....a whose who of americia's song book.

whatwhat said...

umm hmmm hmm well well I guess from Poe to David F Wallace. Hard for me to think of the one that would have instilled such a lyrical voice and gentlemonster depravity. so much much more than werewolves of london...look at the artists who were peers and Collaborators...a who is who of the american song book~ xxAWWOO

bangin said...

the book I would chose would be beautiful losers leonard cohen nuff said

 
Add to Technorati Favorites