The OF Blog: Well, one of my "secret projects" was just announced

Friday, October 29, 2010

Well, one of my "secret projects" was just announced

One of the reasons why I've been somewhat quieter these days (besides spending the past month and a half teaching full-time) is my involvement in a variety of projects that are coming close to fruition.  I've hinted that I was working on something in the past, but now I can go ahead and confirm publicly (be sure to read this post at Jeff VanderMeer's site) that Fábio Fernandes and I are in the process of translating into English the first 250 or so words of each of the eight stories found in the recently-published Brazilian steampunkish anthology, Vaporpunk.  I am doing the translations for the first four stories and Fábio will translate the final four.  We plan to have these translations available no later than the middle of November.

Does this news spark your curiosity a bit?  If so, be sure to continue to check this site and a few others for more information in the coming weeks.

10 comments:

Tibor Moricz said...

Wow!!

Larry Nolen said...

By the way, I owe you thanks, Tibor, for making sure my copy arrived on time. I knew at the time there would be more than just a review of the book. Nice surprise, huh? :D

Roland said...

I don't get it. You are translating the first 250 words of each story? Why?

Unknown said...

Is the entire book being translated at some point? I'd love to read it, but I'm a spoiled American :(

Larry Nolen said...

Roland,

It's part of a special feature on Steampunk from Brazil. One complete story, by Jacques Barcia, has already been translated in full by the author himself and what Fábio and I are doing is a supplement to that.

Larry Nolen said...

Shaun,

I can't answer that last part. Part of the reason the intros is being done is to see if interest might be raised to the point where the editors would be able to sell rights to an Anglo-American publisher/s.

Tibor Moricz said...

Eu sabia que seus propósitos ao pedir o livro eram maiores do que simplesmente lê-lo. Havia um tom de urgência em sua voz que o traiu. Contatei a editora dizendo que havia interesse seu na tradução dos contos.
Isso não é bruxaria...rs... trata-se apenas de interpretação de sinais. Sou bom nisso.

Larry Nolen said...

Verdade, Tibor, verdade! :D

Outra vez, obrigado!

Tibor Moricz said...

You're welcome :)

dcole said...

um no if you were translating all of it maybe though after reading marquez I've pretty much had my fill of south american/spanish magical realism.

I get they don't like western society much but come on technolgy isn't inatley evil that smacks waaay to much of the essay entitled saving society from science that I read. South American society has way to much of a laziness streak (as seen in Marquez's work actually and the siesta tradition) and that needs to change. Life and your worth is about what you do and what you acheive.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites