The OF Blog: Review plans for October

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Review plans for October

So far, 2013 has been a fairly quiet year on the blogging front, due largely to the time/energy devoted to my two jobs.  However, this does not mean that I plan to forgo reviewing some, if not all, of the Booker Prize finalists or National Book Award finalists.  Right now, my plans are to start reviewing the six finalists for the Booker Prize over the next two weeks (I own 5 of the 6 books; only Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries remains to be purchased – it comes out October 15 in the US), so 5/6 should be reviewed by the time the winner is announced on October 15.  4/6 have already been read (planning to read Jhumpa Lahiri's The Lowland this week, maybe even tonight).

I also will read/review at least 8 of the 10 National Book Award for Fiction longlisted titles.  I have already read/reviewed George Saunder's excellent Tenth of December and there will reviews of the others sometime between October 5-October 20.  I also might review 1-2 longlisted titles for the Young People's Literature category before the finalists are announced October 16 (Kate DiCamillo's Flora & Ulysses certainly will be reviewed before then, as I've already read and enjoyed that book).  Probably will not read any of the Poetry or Non-Fiction titles until the shortlists are announced, however.

So if things go well, there should be something like 18-20 books reviewed in October (more if I decide to cover the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel, which is iffy at the moment).  Plus there may be a few more titles as well.   About time that I started writing reviews again, no?

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites