The OF Blog: Current Reads in Progress

Friday, June 24, 2022

Current Reads in Progress

 Since I no longer have a dedicated team of rabid Serbian Reading Squirrels to read 99% of my books for me (or more like I currently have an administrative/educational job that requires 10+ hours of my time many days of the week, not to mention I’m currently rehabbing a cervical disc injury), my reading time has been slower but mostly steady.  I haven’t finished many books since February, but I’m operating more on a dip and taste approach where I might spend 15 minutes one night on a particular book/language and then an hour plus on another, comparing the originals to the translations as I either refresh or learn new classical languages.

So with that out of the way, here’s what I’ve completed since March and what I’m currently reading:

3.  Marco Girolamo Vida, Christiad (I Tatti Renaissance Library, Latin/English)

4.  Homer, The Iliad Books I-XII (Loeb Classical Library, Greek/English)


In progress:

Homer, The Iliad Books XIII-XXIV (Loeb Classical Library, Greek/English) - partway through Book XIII

St. Augustine, City of God Books I-III (Loeb Classical Library, Latin/English) - partway through Book I

Vishnu-sharman, Five Discourses on Worldly Wisdom (Clay Sanskrit Library, Sanskrit(transliterated)/English - partway through the first section

Soma-deva, The Ocean of the Rivers of Story (Clay Sanskrit Library, Sanskrit(transliterated)/English) - finished the introduction

Valmíki, Ramáyana Book One:  Boyhood (Clay Sanskrit Library, Sanskrit(transliterated)/English) - partway through section one

Statius, Thebaid Books I-VII (Loeb Classical Library, Latin/English) - partway through Book III

Various, One Hundred Latin Hymns:  Ambrose to Aquinas (Dumbarton Oaks Medieval Library, Latin/English) - almost complete with introduction

Coulter H. George, How Dead Languages Work - currently on Ch. 2, dealing with Attic Greek

‘Any Al-Qudat, The Essence of Reality (Library of Arabic Literature, Arabic/English) - beginning Ch. 1

Ferdowsi, Shahnameh:  The Epic of the Persian Kings (English only graphic novel adaptation) - a few pages in

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites