The OF Blog: For those wondering where those Erikson, Simmons, etc. reviews are

Monday, June 21, 2010

For those wondering where those Erikson, Simmons, etc. reviews are

I haven't abandoned this project, but rather the World Cup and my Best American Fantasy 4 series editorship duties take precedence here.  I have finished three more books in the Malazan series and will write commentaries on them sometime in the next couple of weeks.  I decided to hold off on the Simmons until I finish the Malazan, in part to see if my dislike for the first half of Endymion might have been related to reading overload.

Also, I've been consciously trying not to read much this month outside of BAF (when not watching the World Cup, I'm outside much of the time, soaking up the rays), so not much has been completed to date.  I did finish Milan Kundera's book of essays, The Art of the Novel, and will be writing four more essays based on the remaining essays in that book which I have not yet covered.  Also am doing a translation comparison study of Spanish, English, and Serbian editions of writers Goran Petrović and Zoran Živković.  Speaking of Živković, there will be reviews of more of his fiction to fill in the gaps that I haven't yet reviewed. 

In addition, I promised writer Robert Freeman Wexler that I would read and review his book from PS Publishing, The Painting and the City, and that hopefully will take place by this weekend.  And finally, I am considering writing a review/essay of one of my all-time favorite novels, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.

Oh, and lest I forget, there will be a review of Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders' anthology of Sword and Sorcery short fiction, Swords & Dark Magic, in the next day or two.  For those wondering, I will be focusing on Gene Wolfe's "Bloodsport" and Caitlín Kiernan's "The Sea-Troll's Daughter."

1 comment:

Aidan Moher said...

Glad you're focussing on the Kiernan and Wolfe stories. Besides the Lynch, they were my favourites of the stories I read (about 2/3rds of the collection). Looking forward to seeing your review.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites