The OF Blog: World Cup of Fiction: Interesting Idea over at Ecstatic Days

Monday, June 14, 2010

World Cup of Fiction: Interesting Idea over at Ecstatic Days

Read this about an hour ago at Jeff VanderMeer's blog where he queried about the possibility of people setting up a sort of "World Cup of Fiction" for the countries currently playing.  He's leaving the rules up to each blog that wants to participate and seeing how much I love watching the World Cup and reading fiction, I'm going to participate.

What I think I'll do, now that it's nearing the end of the initial group matches, is do write-ups for the countries playing that day (usually 3/day).  I will look at the fiction I own (or have heard of, at least), write an analysis, using pseudo-sports talk, of the strengths/weaknesses of that country compared to the other and then "predict" a winner of that literary/sports match. This should be fun, especially for those countries about which I know nothing of their literary heritage.

For those worrying that these posts might flood their RSS feeds, I'm containing all three matches in a single daily post, with other non-World Cup material interspersed between these daily posts.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I think it would be interesting especially if the Peoples Republic of Korea makes it through. Not to be ignorant or anything but is there any fiction that takes place there?

Larry Nolen said...

None that I could find, outside of an anthology or two. Hope you enjoy the prediction post I just made.

Gabriele Campbell said...

What about the matches that already took place? I'de like to see how Germany / Australia would fare in this competition. ;)

Larry Nolen said...

Well, I'll cover the countries in their second matches, but no plans on the first - I'm comparing the teams' literary sides as they play during that day, so no going back to the first few matches.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites