The OF Blog: January 2012 Reviewing Schedule

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

January 2012 Reviewing Schedule

For the first time in several years (likely since grad school in the mid-to-late 1990s), I am reviewing to a schedule.  I actually used iCal for the first time in ages to devise one and I thought I'd list what I'd be reviewing, most of which, however, will not be here (minus links).  I have 10 new reviews and one slightly-revised reprint to post this month, three for Weird Fiction Review and the others will go live at Gogol's Overcoat, starting Friday early morning:

6 - William Faulkner, As I Lay Dying (Gogol's Overcoat)

11 - Zora Neale Hurston, Jonah's Gourd Vine (Gogol's Overcoat or here)

12 - Augusto Monterroso, "Mister Taylor" (Weird Fiction Review - only one I'll list by name here)

13 - William Faulkner, "A Rose for Emily" (Gogol's Overcoat; revision of 2011 review here)

18 - Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God (Gogol's Overcoat or here)

19 - Weird Fiction Review article

20 - William Faulkner, Sanctuary (Gogol's Overcoat)

25 - Zora Neale Hurston, Moses, Man of the Mountain (Gogol's Overcoat or here)

27 - William Faulkner, "Barn Burning" (Gogol's Overcoat)

30 - Zora Neale Hurston, Seraph on the Sewanee (Gogol's Overcoat or here)

31 - Weird Fiction Review article


There may be a few others mixed in, but considering how I am deliberately slowing down my reading this year while I concentrate on learning two languages for the next couple of months, there likely won't be more than a few books read this month (all of the above come from four anthology-style books I have:  two Library of America editions on Faulkner's 1930-1935 novels and Hurston's novels and stories, the Random House edition of Faulkner's short fiction, and The Weird, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer).  I will be writing the Faulkner review later today and schedule it for Friday and perhaps start on the WFR article and Hurston reading.  It is somewhat liberating laying out what I'm going to do, as it helps me be more disciplined as a reviewer and reader.  There might be some genre works mixed in, all to be posted here (unless I freelance review for pay), but not many this month (maybe the new Victor Pelevin book that's coming out in translation this week).


3 comments:

anarchist said...

Hi,

Apologies for the off-topic comment, but I couldn't find a contact email for you.

I've recently put out an ebook of my writing, called The New Death and others. It's a collection of short stories and poems, including verse adaptations of Robert E Howard's King Kull story The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune and HP Lovecraft's Under the Pyramids.

I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a review on your blog.

If so, please let me know your email, and what file format is easiest for you, and I'll send you a free copy. You can email me (news@apolitical.info) or reply to this thread.

You can download a sample from Smashwords:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/92126

I'll also link to your review from my blog.

Yours,
James.

Larry Nolen said...

No. I am not interested.

anarchist said...

No problem. Thanks anyway.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites