The OF Blog: 2009 Locus Award winners announced

Saturday, June 27, 2009

2009 Locus Award winners announced

Taken from the Locus Online site, with commentary to follow:

Science Fiction Novel: Anathem, Neal Stephenson (Atlantic UK, Morrow)

Solid, unsurprising choice. I enjoyed reading this back in January, although it wasn't Stephenson's strongest work, in my opinion.

Fantasy Novel: Lavinia, Ursula K. Le Guin (Harcourt)

One of my favorite 2008 reads and a novel that I gave up trying to write a review of, due to how many layers of connection and interpretation there are between this and Vergil's epic poem.

First Novel: Singularity's Ring, Paul Melko (Tor)

Have this book, but for some reason, never got around to reading it.

Young-Adult Book: The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman (HarperCollins, Bloomsbury)

Enjoyed it when I read it earlier this year, but it wasn't as good as several other YA novels from 2008 that I've read so far.

Novella: "Pretty Monsters", Kelly Link (Pretty Monsters)

Fitting win. Enjoy almost all of Link's writings.

Novelette: "Pump Six", Paolo Bacigalupi (Pump Six and Other Stories)

Not surprised it won, as it was a strong story.

Short Story: "Exhalation", Ted Chiang (Eclipse Two)

See above. It's Chiang. Anyone surprised?

Anthology: The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fifth Annual Collection, Gardner Dozois, ed. (St. Martin's)

Haven't read.

Collection: Pump Six and Other Stories, Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade Books)

Good, strong collection. Trying to think of any that would be a strong alternate, but failing at the moment.

Non-Fiction/Art Book: P. Craig Russell, Coraline: The Graphic Novel, Neil Gaiman, adapted and illustrated by P. Craig Russell (HarperCollins)

Haven't read yet.

Editor: Ellen Datlow

Good.

Artist: Michael Whelan

Also good.

Magazine: F&SF

Good, when I read print mags, that is...

Publisher: Tor

And in the David Langford territory for wins...

3 comments:

Aidan Moher said...

Has Michael Whelan been doing art lately? I thought he kinda dropped out of the game a couple of years ago.

As much as I love his works, it seems like there are other artists out there who deserve the nod ahead of him.

~Aidan
A Dribble of Ink

Larry Nolen said...

I think he has, but for the life of me, I can't remember what.

Mike said...

Last thing I remember him doing was the final book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites