The OF Blog: Caitlin Kiernan Needs Help with Medical Expenses

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Caitlin Kiernan Needs Help with Medical Expenses

Although I am not familiar with her work (although I've heard her name on occasion here and elsewhere), I do understand the difficulties that self-employed writers (okay, all writers who don't make millions a year) have with paying for health insurance, etc. I found out just now via a link on Jeff VanderMeer's blog that Kiernan has some serious issues related to non-epilectic seizures that have drained her finances and have weakened her overall health (link) and there is a fund being set up to help offset those costs. She's not asking for much, but I thought I'd post it anyways in case any here were fans and wanted to pitch in $5, 10, whatever. Because Lord knows I know the feeling of not being able to afford a very necessary medical procedure...

4 comments:

Robert said...

I'll definitely be mentioning this on the blog. I absolutely love her books. In fact, I think you would really enjoy them too. The books I've read have been heavily influenced by Lovecraft, her style of prose is very poetic, and she tends to be quite ambiguous...

Larry Nolen said...

She's one of those authors I've heard mentioned on occasion, but I never quite could remember her name when I was buying books. Later this year, I'll be sure to get a couple of her books to read.

Robert said...

Yeah, I'm not sure which of her books are the best ones to pick up, but I've read "Threshold", "Low Red Moon" and "Daughter of Hounds". I guess you could call them 'urban fantasy', but they're quite different from Laurell K. Hamilton, etc. They are connected, but are all basically standalones with "Daughter of Hounds" my personal favorite. However, she has a few short story collections released so you might want to pick those up instead...

Larry Nolen said...

I like short fiction a lot, so I might start with that. And "urban fantasy" doesn't bother me, considering all of its flavors and so forth. In fact, I got an urban fantasy anthology to review in the next month or so - Paper Cities, edited by Ekaterina Sedia. Looking forward to reading that one soon.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites