The OF Blog: Friday Morning Links

Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Morning Links

Hal Duncan discusses semantical differences with John Clute in regards to defining "fantasy." It is a relatively short Hal Duncan post. You can finish it in less than 10 minutes.

Jeff VanderMeer discusses the writing of Predator: South China Sea as well as listing some upcoming 2008 projects/releases.

A Dribble of Ink interviews Joe Abercrombie, who has recently embraced the notion that he's like a "Big Mac."

Robert at Fantasy Book Critic likes David Keck's In a Time of Treason as much (if not more so) than I did, plus he found the first book, In the Eye of Heaven to be quite enjoyable the first time.

Over at Neth Space, Irish author Peadar Ó Guilín has to answer the Questions Five (no, three, sir!) er the other side he see.

Pat's Fantasy Hotlist has its usual contests, promos, etc. and maybe a review in the future sometime soon?

Matthew Stover's upcoming third Caine novel, Caine Black Knife, is on track for an October 2008 release, as final copyedits are being done now. Since I loved the first two Caine novels, I most certainly shall be clamoring for a review copy for this one.

If The Deckled Edge enjoyed Gene Wolfe's Pirate Freedom that much, I wonder what he'll make of his The Book of the New Sun series?

La Gringa, fresh off of her hiring as a literary agent, has discovered the horrors of wannabe-writers, with lurid photos and all sorts of other joyous miscellanea found in the slushpile. But still, congrats for the new job!

Fantasy Magazine interviews David Anthony Durham.

Not-Neil Gaiman has a pseudonym "leak," but perhaps that pseudonym is really a real person?

Harlan Ellison on why he voted "No" on the recent WGA deal.

Patrick Rothfuss worries about Wisconsin's squirrels. I worry about them too, but for a totally different reason.

Sarah Monette has a writer's epiphany.

Strange Horizons on the food and diet of Hobbits.

De Leyenda revista sobre La carretera (The Road), de Cormac McCarthy.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Thanks for the linkage :) Yeah, I was a bit wary when I first started "In the Eye of Heaven", but it didn't take me long to get into the story. Sure, it had a lot of stylistic and execution issues, but the book also showed a lot of promise. Personally, it reminded me of a cross between Glen Cook and David Gemmell, with some Erikson and horror elements thrown in... All stuff I enjoy :)

I actually just posted a collaborative interview we did with David, which turned out pretty well I thought. I actually would have asked you and Ken to participate, but I didn't realize that you two had received copies as well until I had already set things up...

Larry Nolen said...

Well, if I had known about the interview, I would have waited a bit and have linked to it then and there! I'll go read it in a few minutes.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites