The OF Blog: Some links that have struck my fancy

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Some links that have struck my fancy

Fantasy Bookspot just announced their second annual Best of Year/All-Time Tournaments, with a list provided. Should be a fun exercise and even more fun to see who'll get mad at whom as well.

Paul Witcover of Sci-Fi Weekly also has written a very positive review of J.M. McDermott's Last Dragon. He covers some points that I didn't include in mine, so I highly suggest those still uncertain to read his review.

Over on my personal blog, I reviewed David Anthony Durham's 2005 historical novel, Pride of Carthage.

Tia Nevitt over at Fantasy Debut recently called me a "demigod." I'd return the favor, but even better, I think I shall point out that she works so hard to cover all of the debut fantasy novels that I think more people need to visit her blog. Simple as that.

The Swivet's La Gringa has many more link roundups than I do, not to mention some very cool-to-know publishing/contract news.

Interesting Tim Pratt interview with Scifi.com. Ought to add that I recently finished Pratt's Blood Engines and if I don't have the time to write a full review soon, let's just say it's not a half-bad book at all to read. It's the first in a series and I'll certainly read the second.

Neth Space recently reviewed Peadar Ó Guilín's The Inferior. I need to ask for a review copy for this one.

Pat's Fantasy Hotlist has the usual assortment of contests, with the occasional review buried somewhere deep within.

The Deckled Edge didn't quite like Gregory Frost's Shadowbridge as much as I did, while Rob Bedford's review was a bit more positive.

Matt Cheney has a thoughtful commentary up on why certain books haven't appealed to him recently. I need some more time to think before I respond there, as I think it's a very interesting issue to say the least.

Fanboy alert: "New" Borges interview posted online!

Jeff VanderMeer interviews Edward Willet, author of Marseguro, about quite a few things, including the reaction to the book's cover art.

Catherynne M. Valente recently announced that she just completed the draft for her upcoming novel, Palimpsest.

The latest Hal Duncan book is online...or rather, an almost book-length essay on genre taxonomy.


And with that, I'm off to get something to eat. Ciao for chow.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites