The OF Blog: 2010 in Review: Thirteen Most Intriguing Books

Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 in Review: Thirteen Most Intriguing Books

I chose not to call this a "Best of 2010" list (despite it being labeled as such for consistency's sake with prior years), but rather a "Most Intriguing" list because these are works that for various reasons are most likely out of the 2010 releases read to date that will stick with me in the years to come.  No further explanation than that will be given here, unless you want to ask me in the comments if I have lost my senses.  Then I might unleash a rabid Serbian reading squirrel on you, just to see what carnage might be inflicted...

1.  Karen Tei Yamashita, I Hotel 

2.  Carlos Gardini, Tríptico de Trinidad 

3.  Michal Ajvaz, The Golden Age

4.  Grace Krilanovich, The Orange Eats Creeps 

5.  Michael Cisco, The Narrator

6.  Patti Smith, Just Kids 

7.  Emma Donoghue, Room 

8.  Bret Easton Ellis, Imperial Bedrooms 

9.  René Belletto, Dying 

10. Zoran Živković, Escher's Loops 

11.  Lionel Shriver, So Much for That 

12.  David Mitcell, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet 

13.  Felix Gilman, The Half-Made World


Yep, quite a bit different from my 2009 list, which differed from my 2008 list, and...well, you get the point.  Very curious now to see what 2011 will bring me.  Two of my first reads will be Bradford Morrow's The Diviner's Tale and J.M. McDermott's Never Knew Another.  More on those later, after 2010 officially ends here in three minutes or so.

1 comment:

Amy said...

An interesting list - a few that I recognize from prior essays here. A few that I'm interested in, a few that I'm not, a lot of areas covered.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites