The OF Blog: Ruins

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Ruins

Received a postcard yesterday from a female friend of mine with a message about how she was about to go visit some medieval ruins.  I thought about that for a bit.  Ruins.  There's that hint of former glory faded, of some lost golden age.  But I live in the United States.  The closest ruins to me are some abandoned farmhouses in the northern part of the county in Tennessee where I've grown up.  There's nothing grandiose about seeing kudzu covering dilapidated farmhouses and smoke sheds.  Just makes me think of poverty and the rough times that my great-grandparents and grandparents had as tobacco farmers.  Just an odd thought this morning on perspective and place.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Nothing grandiose about the dilapidated farmhouses, but to Lovecraft at least, something very dark and sinister and timeless. Does that help? :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You just described where I live.
You should go see some of the ruins in Europe, Larry. They are quite amazing.

D said...

I'd trade most of ruins for a pink bunny any day.
No. Really. Most of the ruins we have here are really really ruined, so they are not as amusing to look at.

Larry Nolen said...

If you say so...then again, there are plenty of rabbits here, albeit not quite the pink bunny type :P

 
Add to Technorati Favorites